66-00094

Boeing CH-47A Chinook helicopter 66-00094 at Phu Bai, Vietnam, July 1968.

Boeing CH-47A Chinook helicopter 66-00094 at Phu Bai, Vietnam, July 1968.

66-00094, Boeing build number B-226, was a CH-47A helicopter. The U.S. Army acceptance date was 23 August 1966. The administrative strike date was 23 March 1975. 66-00094 accumulated 2,640.0 aircraft hours.

At some point, 66-00094 was assigned to A Company - "Pachyderms", 159th Assault Support Helicopter Battalion (ASHB), attached to the 101st Airborne Division in the Republic of Vietnam (RVN).

In July 1968, 66-00094 was the first aircraft to land at Phu Bai when that unit moved into it's new home there. A Company was the former 200th ASHC.

At some point, 66-00094 was assigned to B Company - "Longhorns", 228th ASHB located at Bear Cat.

At some point, the 228th ASHB stood down and 66-00094 was assigned to the 362nd Aviation Company - the last U.S. Chinook unit in the RVN.

At some point, 66-00094 was transferred to the 247th Vietnamese Air Force (VNAF) and lost in combat. 66-00094 was lost due to North Vietnamese and or Vietcong (VC) action at Da Nang and / or Phu Cat, details unknown.

The last known location of 66-00094 was in the Republic of Vietnam.

Aircraft status: Destroyed.

The Nose Art of 66-00094

Nose Art, in the military sense, is the pictures, slogans or sayings that are painted on combat aircraft. This art dates back to the First World War, which saw the first airplanes used in combat. Aviators and aircrews have always been known for their individuality and this is reflected in the nose art on their aircraft. Nose art continued through World War Two, the Korean War, into Vietnam and beyond.

To keep an even flow of experienced combat crews in Vietnam, the Army adopted a policy of infusing Aviators with combat experience into new units as they arrived in country. I was transferred to a new helicopter company when it arrived in Vietnam. When I joined the new unit, it had just received its aircraft and the commander told the flight platoons that they could paint nose art on them before engaging in combat flying. There were several artists in the unit and the aircraft began sporting their new look.

One crew painted the image of a pig wearing a cape and flying through the air much as Superman or Mighty Mouse might have done when they were "saving the day". Under this figure was the title "The Wonder Warthog". This emblem was well done with vivid colors and excellent lines.

A few days later, I noticed that the image had been painted over and replaced with ten inch white stenciled letters revealing the words:

PHILBERT DESINEX

Six months later as I was completing my combat tour, the flight crew of this CH-47 filled me in on the events concerning this piece of art. The commander of this unit was called "The Wonder Warthog" by the soldiers in this unit, of course, behind his back. Most assuredly the commander in question was aware of this and ordered the nose art removed from the helicopter. The story goes that the Wonder Warthog was a spoof on super heroes that appeared in publications in the early 1960's. My efforts to find out more of this super hero have been in vain. I had heard that he once appeared in Readers Digest but no record of this exists. When the commander ordered the removal of this art, the crew immediately responded with the replacement words "Philbert Desinex". Unknown to the commander, Philbert Desinex is the alter ego of the Wonder Warthog, as Clark Kent is to Superman.

This story has been on my mind ever since my war years and remains a topic of conversation when I run into veterans of that war. Though thirty-four years have passed, most of this story is accurate as fading memory allows. Thoughts of this fine crew, their service, bravery and their dedication indicate the best that America had to offer in those difficult times. I hope that the commander has since reconciled himself to the fact that though his name may be forgotten, certainly "The Wonder Warthog" (a.k.a. Philbert Desinex) will live on in the minds of his combat crew for life.

--- George Miller, CW4, USA, Retired, October 2002

Boeing CH-47A - The Nose Art of 66-00094 at Phu Bai, Vietnam, July 1968.

Boeing CH-47A - The Nose Art of 66-00094 at Phu Bai, Vietnam, July 1968.

The Cockpit

Boeing CH-47A - Cockpit Photo of 66-00094 at Phu Bai, Vietnam, July 1968.

One of the interesting features of the A model Chinook was the use of the Decca Navigation device, visible in the above photograph, top center. The Decca was a device that plotted one's position on a tactical map as the helicopter was flown around the area of operation (AO). Another feature to note is the placement of the Engine Condition Levers (ECL's), which were moved to the overhead console in the D model. A through C model versions incorporated the use of a Pitch Trim wheel, located on the right side of the canted console. This allowed the position of the cyclic to be moved forward or aft as an aid in pilot comfort.

CH-47 Decca Navigation device.

This aircraft was piloted by:

Your Name Here.

This aircraft was crewed by:

SP6 Jerry Sexton, Flight Engineer, November 1966 - March 1968.

SP4 Daniel Lawrence, Flight Engineer, 1971 - 1972.

Your Name Here.

The CH-47 - 40 years old and still circling the world.

Comments or Questions ? Email the Webmaster. Email the Webmaster.